Chapter 19: Small and Cold, My Heart Beats

“How did that old fool manage this?” A women’s shrill voice filled the small shack and the occupants sneered at the tone.

Two witches and one wizard were lounging on the shabby couch while an older wizard was pacing back and forth, a supple frown formed on his lips. It was impossible, how did Dumbledore manage to fool everyone? It seemed ever Potter wasn’t in on this plan; she could never act in such a way if she knew the old man was indeed, alive.

Bellatrix, Narcissa, and Draco were crowded in his small home, while Pettigrew was slithering around someplace. Not that he was complaining of course. He’d rather not set eyes on that sniveling rat again.

But what bothered him was the fact that Dumbledore was alive once again. The man never stayed where he belonged. Plus, they didn’t have a spy in the Order any more.

“Has our Lord been notified about Potter’s imprisonment?” Draco’s voice sound gleeful, yet there was a hint of confusion in that tone. The blonde would do best to conceal his emotions from everyone… especially since the Dark Lord was in no means happy with the Malfoy heir.

“Of course, Alecto informed him this morning.” Bellatrix gave a sneer and a childish laugh. “Serves that little bitch right.”

Severus looked coldly at her and shook his head. For being such a powerful Lord, his master was making a mistake in keeping that in his services. Bellatrix wasn’t right in the head any more that she was when she came back from Azkaban.

“I don’t understand why she was accused, though. I thought she was Dumbledore’s golden girl?” Draco asked uncertainly, and Severus swept over to the fire whiskey, swirling his tumbler in his long fingers.

“She’s withholding the last Horcrux from Dumbledore, Draco. We all know this. The question is, why? And how? Potter never hit me as cunning nor someone who would turn on the old fool-,” Severus tapered off in mid sentence with a hiss of pain. He clutched his forearm and swept over to his heavy cloak.

With tense motions, he slid his silver mask on and lifted the hood. “Is he calling you, Severus?” Bellatrix asked, if it wasn’t proof enough that he was putting on his uniform.

Snape didn’t respond, and waved his hand at the occupants. “You can show yourselves out.” Beatle black eyes watched to make sure they left his property before he too, apparated away to his master.

--TMRAQP--

The small underground corridors where empty, save for the usual out lookers. None acted if something was wrong, so Severus comforted in that fact. His Lord might want him to brew potions or complete a task he was so eagerly to attend to.

He inclined his head at the guard by the throne room, and the other let him in. As he step foot in the room, the door behind him slammed shut- sending Severus into the darkness. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust in the barely lit room. But eventually he succeeded and made his way to the throne before him.

The dying embers barley showed the figure upon the bone throne. Yet, Snape made out his Lord. It was unusual for his Lord to wear his hood up in the presence of just a lone Death Eater, and yet, his master had the deep hood securely up, hiding his features. Those glowing crimson eyes were dull as they watched Snape’s approach.  But there would always be that powerful aura around the man and this time it was no different. His dark emerald magic was swirling lazily around him, but there seemed to be a disturbance.

“I am here to serve, My Lord.” Before he got down on his knees, his eyes caught the dead body of Alecto at the side of the room, his lifeless eyes looking no where in particular.

“Severus.” The man was gently stroking his serpent’s powerful scales and gazing into the embers. He didn’t seem inclined to get to the point at any moment too soon.

Snape stayed on his knees, head bowed, yet that didn’t stop him from seeing the Prophet clutched in his Lord’s other hand.  To an outsider, it looked like the paper was forgotten and merrily held for trash, but Severus felt as if the Dark Lord was clutching it in desperation. At least, that’s what he got out of it.

“The Potter heir was thrown in Azkaban.” It wasn’t a question, just a idle statement that Snape felt no inclination to respond to. Yet, he deemed necessary to do so.

“Yes, My Lord. She was.” The powerful man’s tone didn’t reveal anything, and Snape could read one pound of emotion coming from the wizard.

The two sat in silence again, and Snape ignored the sharp pain his knees were going through by kneeling so long. Cold breath from the room was sliding down his arms and back, yet Voldemort didn’t seem to mind.

“Why did you join my forces, Severus?” His eyes widened barley a fraction at the question. This was nothing he expected.

“Your ideas to cleanse our world, my Lord. To wipe out the extinction of muggles from the wizarding world, and to allow free reign for purebloods and a select few halfbloods. To keep a tight leash over the magical creatures, and the destruction of Dumbledore.”

When Snape first was introduced to the Dark Lord, the powerful wizard seduced many followers to come to his side. The Lord was a master at speeches, and convincing. When he spoke, you absorbed every last word and deemed it the truth.

The Dark Lord sat there for a few moments, and his skeleton hand tightened on the Prophet. “Did you honestly expect to rape and slaughter muggleborns like you do today?”

Severus didn’t know where this was going, and was unsure why his Lord was asking him these dedicated questions. Did Snape deem loyal in his Lord’s eyes? Or was this his usual speech before he killed a Death Eater?

Black eyes glanced at the dead Death Eater and lifted his chin. If he was going to die, so be it. He had nothing to live for but the ways of his Lord. “No, I didn’t. My Lord.” And he honestly didn’t. He despised how they brutally killed and tortured the muggles for no reason, or raped the muggleborns. Earlier years, they had been saner, and more dignified with the killings.

“I think it is time we change our direction, Severus. You deemed loyal to me throughout these years, and have become my right hand man. With your help and talent, we can alter our ways and become the superior race once again.” His voice was barley above a raspy whisper, but Snape was once again, seduced by his very voice.

“If I may, my Lord, what caused this…change in direction?” He was uncertain if he was stepping over the line, but being the Dark Lord’s right hand man now, he felt it was acceptable for him to ask.

Voldemort waved the hand stroking Nagini sluggishly in the air. “Alas, I have realized my mistakes. What we do, strikes fear in every man and women. We are supposed to be more superior to them, they are supposed to look up to me and my followers for examples. The world we live in today is contaminated and tainted with unclean blood. We must go back to the old ways, Severus.”

And that was what Severus had wanted to hear. He watched as the Death Eaters slowly started to get more malevolence in them, more high with the thought of torture, whilst they forget the real reasons they joined the Dark Lord.

“This pleases you.” Again, it wasn’t a statement, but an amused comment…and Severus inclined to respond.

“Yes, My Lord. It pleases me greatly. I’ve always followed your beliefs but over the past few years, forgive me; I have become uncertain with the amount of torture you see fit.” The line seemed to be stepped over when Voldemort tensed and crushed the paper again in his fist. Magic swirled threateningly around Severus as if provoking the fear in him to grow.

“Your right, Severus. I have become…uncaring. Yet, I don’t think I will ever care for muggles, I will step back from the atrocious tortures I once inflicted.” He paused and Severus allowed his shoulders to relax slightly. “But it seems I have a few followers who enjoy it, do I not?”

Snape detected the sinister tone in his Master’s voice and focused on the pain of his knees instead of the stroking hand on the serpents scales.

The silence was thick once more, only to be broken by the sound of crimpled paper. Those fingers of the Dark Lord’s were caressing the Prophet crucially.

“How will Potter hold up in Azkaban?” Severus was unsure where to go with this. Either Voldemort was happy she was in the rotten cell, or wary with the mystery where his Horcrux is.

“Don’t worry, My Lord. She won’t last a day without her mind snapping. The dementors affect her too much.” Apparently that was the wrong thing to say.

The Dark Lord’s serpent jerked and hissed unpromisingly toward him, slithering around the master’s shoulders. And the wizard in turn stood up, towering menacing above Snape. Those actions confused the Potion’s master whether he wanted them to or not. Shouldn’t Voldemort be happy?

His eyes widened slightly. “Of course, Master. Forgive me. You want her mind sane in order to find the Horcrux. How foolish of me.” He was begging like a dog for forgiveness, he knew. But he’d rather sink low than to face that magic swirling around Voldemort like it was now.

Black eyes watched as the Dark Lord froze and then sat down once again, as if Snape’s statement surprised him. “Yes. That’s correct Severus.” It was almost if he forgot about the Horcrux…but that was impossible.

“Severus, I have a mission I want you to accomplish for me as soon as possible…”

--TMRAQP--

He hated Azkaban, almost as much as he hated Dumbledore. For the short period he was here in his younger years, he had almost gone crazy. The dementors were passing by each perimeter of the prison, and screams from prisoners pierced his ears as he passed.

“What do you want?” A short man with Auror robes approached him angrily and looked around him. “You’re not supposed to be here. You-Know-Who promised-,”

“Shut your mouth.” Snape sneered. He didn’t like the little man, and yet, Voldemort informed him this Auror was the only one he needed at the moment. Beetle eyes looked around him too, and lifted the sleeve to his dark mark.

“You owe him one free prisoner for your life.” It was true. Voldemort spared this man’s life, in return of a favor in the near future…it seemed the Dark Lord was collecting it at this moment.

The Auror’s face paled and he slumped his shoulders. “Who? Malfoy? Greyback? Or maybe Dolohov?”

Snape sneered deeply and clucked his tongue. “Don’t take that tone with me. The Dark Lord knows you have a three year old son he will gladly kill.” He enjoyed watching the man sweat…it was deliciously amusing.

“Fine, but we must do this quick. Which prisoner?” A dementor passed and Severus tensed slightly as memories hit him.

“Potter.” The Auror gave a nod, as if expecting this and swept away. Snape followed at a distance and thanked Merlin for selfish wizards in the world. If it weren’t for them, no one would be able to blackmail. And blackmailing was just too much fun.

There were a few Auror’s spread around Azkaban, but not enough to take notice of Snape’s presence. It was mostly guarded by the soul-sucking creatures.

He barley glanced in the other prisoners directions, disgusted at what he saw. He passed by Lestrange’s cell and ignored his call of distress and pleading. No one would break out today, save for Potter.

“She’s bad off.” The voice was oddly quiet and Snape turned his attention on the Auror.

“Excuse me?” This had better not turn into a chat filled adventure. He despised idle chit-chat.

“Potter. She’s broken.” Snape paled and hurried his pace, forcing the man beside him to go faster. If that were true, Voldemort wouldn’t be too happy.

“She was just admitted earlier this morning. That’s impossible.” The Auror gave another shrug and stopped at the cell towards the end of the aisle. He still hadn’t laid eyes on her… some small part of him wanted to turn away and close his eyes.

“Potter.” His long hands wrapped around the bars and peered in. Mentally he reared back.

She was there. In the corner, rocking back and forth with a crazed smile on her face. That ridiculous mass of curly hair was shaved clean making her eyes appear too large for her face. Her grey robe was off her shoulder, contrasting against her awfully small body.

A childish hum filled the cell and sent shivers down his spine.

This was impossible.
Chapter 20: The Only One

“For far too long we have been hiding like the common criminals.”  The room was thick with silence, hoping to drown in every word the Lord was saying. “We are not common criminals; we are the superior race to the wizarding world.”

Multiple masked wizards cheered at the statement, believing it true, hoping their Lord wouldn’t punish them for acting out of line. Instead, the hooded figure spread his arms and basked in their excitement.  After this, many more cheered, getting high off Voldemort’s power.

“My dear followers, we are smart, powerful, cunning, and better than muggles and muggleborns alike. Many purebloods are diluted with the notion muggles can have a place in our world.” Disproval from the crowd spread like wildfire and a lipless smile formed on the Dark Lord’s face. “We have taken action’s that caused fear in many souls, but no more.”

There was an abrupt silence, eyes were uncertain as to where the Dark Lord was going. “Rape, torture, raids… there is absolutely no reason for these any longer.”

Red eyes watched carefully at their actions, and registered exactly who made any move of disagreement.  The Death Eaters had split reactions, some of the older Death Eaters perked up at this in a hopeful gesture, while some of the younger voiced their disagreement.

A white hand motioned lazily toward Rivaland, an older and more loyal Death Eater, who struck each disagreeing wizard down with an Avada Kedavra. Immediately the crowd silenced, looking at the six dead bodies amongst them.

“I have no patience for Death Eater’s rebelling against me. We are sane wizards now. Rape is a common act among muggle criminal’s who sink lowly in society. We are not part of that.” Eye’s beneath silver masks watched as their Lord paced slowly back and forth, drawing the magic in the room as he went.

“Slowly we will reach our grasp across the wizarding world. Recruiters will recruit powerful and respected wizards or witches in our society. If they refuse, don’t kill them.  Over time you will convince them on our ways, and they will step over to the rightful side.” Nods of agreement waved through the small number of Death Eater’s, some were looking more excited as each word left the powerful figure’s mouth.

“Raids on muggles are no longer. Our goal is to separate this world from theirs. It is best if we cut the world in two as much as possible. By going on raids, we attract their attention. That doesn’t mean we cant kill a selected few with well thought out plans.”

The adrenaline going through the Death Eater’s was shocking. They could barely control not pouncing on their Lord’s side and kissing the ground he walked upon.

“In time we will accomplish our goals. No muggle’s will reach the wizarding world, muggleborns will be taken from muggle homes and their guardians oblivated. The pureblood race will become larger and superior. Together we can bring back the old traditions our father’s before us followed.”

His voice was alluring and the lung’s of the listeners halted, in case they missed something. Each step the Dark Lord took drew their attention and on the border line, obsession.

“Together.” His voice rose, as did the spectator’s attention. “We will be on top.”

One by one the Death Eater’s knelt and bowed their head’s down to the floor. No one missed the body of Bellatrix Lestrange, instead, their thoughts were centered on the future that finally looked bright.

And their goals would be reached. Slowly, but surely.

--TMRAQP--

Severus huddled the figure closer, hopping to avoid the Dark Lord’s notice any time soon. He hadn’t had the chance to study Alexandra Potter yet, and he was sure he wouldn’t like what he saw.

The Auror had pushed him out of Azkaban with a spitting curse, nothing Snape hadn’t heard before. And all this time, she hadn’t stopped humming the ridiculous tune.

He made his way over to the medical bay in the Dark Lord’s underground manor. By the sounds of it, he was having a Death Eater meeting and probably wouldn’t be searching for Severus anytime soon. The powerful Lord always stayed and basked in his followers.

Walking through the door, he slammed it shut behind him with his unoccupied foot. The body in his arms didn’t weigh a thing, but that didn’t surprise him in the least. Her muggle family weren’t exactly the best of guardians.

He set her down on the sterile bed, and moved away the hood to his cloak on her face. Beetle eyes studied her closer, sneering at what he saw.

Her head, bald, was the first thing he took care of. The Ministry shaved the prisoner’s heads before they threw them in, nothing but humiliation served its purpose. His stride’s were hurriedly as he swept over to the cupboard and took out a hair lengthening potion. Best hurry before the Dark Lord could even notice his presence.

Too late.

The door opened and in stepped the Dark Lord. Severus was surprised to see the emerald magic around him brightening with every moment. He didn’t know, nor want to know, why this change came about with the man. Curiosity killed the serpent.

“Severus.” The tone was dangerous and those crimson eyes locked with the frail and shivering form of Potter. 

Unfortunately, Potter to that moment to burst out a giggle which left Snape standing uncomfortably next to her bedside. He knew his expression must resemble a flobberworm caught in the line of a descending foot, but it was the only thing that showed through with his fear of what that magic would do to him. 

“It’s only been a day.” His dangerous tone disappeared, only to be unreadable, yet Snape could detect a small emotion…almost like, grief?

Severus straightened up and turned his back on the Dark Lord, while he tried to force the potion past her clamped lips. His eyes noticed how dry they were, and the blood that seemed to seep past them from inside her mouth.

He gave in inward sigh as he turned toward a needle. It would seem he would have to inject the potions through her bloodstream. It didn’t really help the victim if you flung spells in their directions, especially when they were on the brink of loosing their mind.

“It has been a day, My Lord. It’s impossible to have someone’s mind snap in that little of time.” He paused and watched in satisfaction as the hair upon her head started to seep out black, glossy curls.

Even if her thick hair was down to her elbows now, it still didn’t take away the pale face, dull, insane eyes, or the shaking body.  Before he kneeled to inspect her mind, he noticed the Dark Lord was standing at a distance away near the door. “Don’t worry, My Lord. We will get the information on where she hid the Horcrux.”

A growl sounded in the man’s throat and Severus paused in his task. “Don’t tear her mind, Severus. I want her sane, not even more broken than before.” He was unsure what his master wanted, but compiled.

His eyes met her crazy filled green ones, and dived in her mind. But he hit a solid wall straight on.

-------

“Severus, your fine, get up.” He blinked and looked up. He was sprawled on the floor, looking up at the hooded figure of Voldemort.

He had a headache, more like a migraine, but he held his tongue. “She’s defiantly not insane, my Lord.” His head was turned away, so he didn’t see the shoulders sag in relief.

“Oh?” Briefly, Snape wondered why the Dark Lord wasn’t entering her mind at all. He would’ve thought the man would tear a hole straight through that wall of hers.

Standing up as gracefully as he could, he looked over at the laughing figure on the bed. “It seems she has been practicing Occlumency over the summer, My Lord.” His eyes caught a shadow of a smile playing the man’s lips and shivered. He didn’t want to know.  “She’s blocking her mind, and it seems she’s stuck inside it. Her insanity is buried and she has no will to push back out. Usually insane victim’s have blank minds-,”

“I’m well aware of that, Severus. Thank you.” The Dark Lord took a step closer to the bed, but stopped again, unwilling to get within reach of her. “We will wait with patience. Her mind will register the fact she’s not in danger anymore. In turn her mind will slowly come back to reality.” A pause and the shoulders turned stiff and his voice seemed clipped. “And then we will find my Horcrux.”

He turned his gaze away from Potter and headed to the door. “Fix her up, Severus. I will be heading out for recruiting for the next few weeks. When I return, I hope to find her…sane.”

Without another word or glance backwards, he left. It was a shame he had no knowledge those green eyes were watching his retreat with sane thoughts and emotions.  If he had known this, perhaps he would’ve altered his words.

Severus gave an outward sigh this time and gathered as many nutrient potions he could get his hands on. The best course of action was to make Potter feel as if she can come out of her closed mind in comfort.

“For your best interest, Potter, I hope you make the right decision and come out of your pity shell. Otherwise the Dark Lord will not be happy.”

Those cracked lips split in a goofy smile and she gave another giggle. But those eyes weren’t as crazed as they let on…

--TMRAQP--

She should’ve known. She was a fool. How could she honestly expect the most powerful Dark Lord to return those feelings he had so long ago that he didn’t even remember? Those crimson eyes weren’t turquoise and that snake-like face wasn’t morphed into those handsome features she loved so much.

Tom Riddle was dead. In his place was Lord Voldemort. The man without emotion.

She couldn’t help the tear’s that slid down her face. The room she was in was only lit by a single candle which was going to go out in moments from now. Snape was out with his Lord, who was due to come back later tonight. As far as her old potion’s master was concerned, she was still insane.

A bitter smile lifted her sore lips. She was never insane. She just protected herself against the dementors in Azkaban, and kept up with the act when she was brought here.

Her legs were against her chest with her thin arms wrapped securely around them. Her body was rocking back and forth, humming the same tune she had since that day in Azkaban. It was the song her and Tom danced to at the Christmas Ball.

She had thrown away her whole life for a Dark Lord. Her friends, her family, her future…. all for him. Some part of her knew this would happen, yet she kept on protecting him, in hopes he would still bear apart of Tom Riddle with him.

“…Her mind will register the fact she’s not in danger anymore. In turn her mind will slowly come back to reality. And then we will find my Horcrux.” 

Those words were the only thing he had said to her. And it was the only thing he was worried about. His Horcrux. That’s what everything was about.

She had stayed here for a week, hoping with all the hope she had left, that he would visit her late at night, or perhaps remember her once more.

But he never did.

She had no where to go. No one to turn to, but she did have an extra plan. And it was held off until tonight when the Dark Lord made no move to convince her to stay. Tonight, she would leave this world.

A large lump was swallowed and she stood up shakily. Snape wouldn’t return tonight, nor would any other Death Eater.

She fought off the dizziness and grasped the bed post with both hands. It would take awhile for her to get used to this, which meant she had better hurry before the Dark Lord came back.

But before she turned to the door, she opened her broken mouth. The tissue was ripped from her lips as she spread them apart as far as she could. Her heavy tongue lifted and she dug beneath the muscle to rip out the cold, metallic ring. Blood filled her throat and her mouth, but she ignored it.

Bringing out the ring, or Horcrux, blood dripped from her fingers and on to the floor. With shaking fingers she set it neatly on the white pillow, staining it with crimson.

Even if her heart was no longer there, she would never be able to betray him. After all, she had gone to Azkaban for him, what was the point of erasing her sacrifice in returning it to the old fool Dumbledore?

“I love you, Tom Riddle. For now and forever.” Her bare feet hit the cold floor as she exited the room.

Never once did she look back.

--TMRAQP--

A dark cloaked figure gracefully made his way down the dark corridors. Every once and awhile he passed one of his followers and enjoyed the submission he received from their greetings.

A skeleton hand shot out and opened the door to the darker room. He illuminated the room with a simple wave of his hand and met eyes with an empty bed. But he did spot something.

Blood smeared on the pillow case, and settling in it was a glittering ring. He quickly made his way over and sat upon the bed. Grabbing the ring, he studied it in his open palm. Emotions ran haywire within him and he had trouble grasping what he really felt when he held onto the Horcrux.

He didn’t know how long he sat there.

Maybe seconds, maybe hours.

He closed his palm and clutched the ring tight. Raising his head, he looked blankly at the wall across from him.

Opening his mouth in a silent scream, he snapped it shut once more. A small smile graced his lipless mouth. “It’s for the best, my love.”

The End

Epilogue: Selfish Feelings Can Love Too

They say feelings numb over time. If it wasn’t true love, you will be able to move on and mend your future. Well, she knew that it was true love- and she would never be able to get that sharp ache in her heart to leave her.

It’s been three years now. A long three years since her closure to the wizarding world. Once she stepped foot out of his manor, she fled to the muggle world and cut herself fully from the world she once called home.

Sure, it was cowardly of her to run. But it was her only option. She never thought she could know true love, but she was proved wrong. She had loved someone so much, she would rather suffer for eternity rather than to seem him suffer at all.

If she returned to the light side that day, she would be killed or turned back in Azkaban. Or she would have to fight against him. If she stayed with Voldemort that night, she would be living painfully…he would always remind her of Tom. Something that was taken away from her so brutally, would be staring at her right in the face each and every day. Except, the man she loved would be hiding behind the monster, desperately trying to gain dominance.

And yet, she was living painfully everyday here in the muggle world. It was a lonely existence either way. And again, she was too cowardly to kill herself- to end it all.

Instead, she was Savannah Hershey, a twenty year old attending school in Oxford University. It was risky to live so close to Hogwarts and the wizarding world, but so far she hadn’t even noticed any odd phenomena’s happening here. Voldemort wouldn’t come looking for her since he had gained his Horcrux, and Dumbledore was too busy with pulling strings with other puppets he had in his possession.

Everyday, she cleared her thoughts on her past, and instead looked to the future. At the moment she was studying in the medical field to become a doctor. What could she say? She had a thing for saving people.

She had a boyfriend. Something that surprised her the most. Until she realized she had no feelings for him, she was only using him to numb the pain…an action that made her feel guilty. He was an ok guy, someone who was uncertain with his future, living everyday as if it were a pain. That’s what they had in common though, they both hated living.

Sighing, she pulled up the strap of her carrying bag and made her way over to her dorm. Ryan would be there, hoping to get her to himself finally. But she saw no desire to sleep with him. It was disturbing really, that she couldn’t even touch another man when he and her never…slept together before.

What was holding her back?

“Savannah.” She gave a half-hearted to the girl wave and continued up the concrete steps. The cold wind tugged at the black curls she had in a low pony. It looked if a storm was coming…

She dug in her key and slid it into the lock to her room. As she opened it, her kitten came running up to great her. Yes, no cats allowed or other animals, but what was the big idea? It was just a kitten.

After scratching the cat underneath the chin, she threw her bag on the floor. When her head turned she caught the sight of Ryan lying sprawled eagle on the floor. For a moment she thought him to be sleeping, until she saw his blue eyes looking at the ceiling blankly.

No.

How had they found her? Was it the Ministry? Dumbledore? Death Eaters? Voldemort?

“I killed him, but I was somewhat surprised that I buried him.” A voice whispered to her right and she whipped her head around to see the last person she expected sitting on her beat down sofa.

Tom Riddle.

Her heart stopped and she put a hand around her throat in a defensive reflex. He was there, in body and mind…and young. His robes were hanging off him charmingly and his features looked relaxed. His age was arguable perhaps in his late twenties or early thirties. 

Still that thick black hair, high cheekbones, but his gorgeous eyes were crimson still. And that’s when she slapped herself. It was still Lord Voldemort. Here to kill her.

“Excuse me?” She stood up from her crouched position and stood awkwardly. She would face death straight backed like her father had.

“Dumbledore. I killed him. You would imagine I would rip him to shreds and his body would be unrecognizable after I was through with him.” Her breath caught in her throat. One part of her was happy Dumbledore was dead, and the other one was wary. If he was dead, what about the rest of the wizarding world?

“And I buried him. With a tombstone and everything.” Her eyes swiveled back to his with a confused expression.

“Why are you telling me this?” Green eyes watched as a lazy hand swirled through the air.

“Wouldn’t you think that, Alex? I would rip him to shreds and eat him? Don’t you think it’s surprising I buried him?” Without waiting for her to respond, he continued. His eyes were locked on hers the whole time.

“I guess I buried him because he also did a favor for me. He gave me something in life I couldn’t live without. Although his motives were selfish, he gave me something I desire too much to forget.”

So many things were swirling in her mind at the moment; she could only stand with her mouth slightly open, listening to him carry on a one sided conversation.

“I’m a selfish man, Alex. I always get what I want and I will do anything in means to get it.” His eyes swept to Ryan’s limp form back to hers. “That day you left me, three years ago, I was selfish by letting you walk away. I didn’t want you to die; I didn’t want you to fight in the war that would be blooming. I wanted you to live safely. And that was granted.

“I’m also selfish, because I came here out of my own pleasure. I should’ve stayed away from you, I should’ve let you live without me. But alas, I came here to gather my consort.” With that he stood up and Alex took a step back in shock.

“Y-you remember me? H-,” She couldn’t finish it, maybe she was afraid he didn’t remember.

A small smile lit his face as he took a step closer. “I experimented with different potion’s and spells back then. I thought I failed in every attempt I made, but I did succeed. It was a potion I inhaled that stored away the memories in a black hole until I laid eyes on you when you returned from my time. It all came flooding back to me when I saw you were imprisoned in Azkaban.”

Voldemort frowned and stopped advancing. “When the memories came back, so did the emotions. I had lived so long without my emotions, Alex. How do you think I felt when they came to me all at once? I was confused and uncertain. I had no idea how to act around you when I saw you lying in that bed. And that night…when I held the ring, I knew I loved you.”

She shook her head, trying to wake from this…this nightmare. “You can’t expect me to just- just drop everything when you haven’t made one effort to contact me for three years. How can you expect me to believe your back to Tom Riddle?” Fury was rising within her, and the past year’s loneliness vanished.

“But I’m not back to Tom Riddle, Alex. I will always be Voldemort now. After what I did in my past after you left-,” He gave a bitter smile and shook his head. “I didn’t want to turn out like that, remember? I claimed you saved me from that future, but then you left and with that my memories. I was changed then. I turned from Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort. I slaughter hundreds, and betrayed so many. And then, you came back and so did my memories.”

Voldemort came forward again, and Alex stepped back. “Once I received my memories, I changed again-for the better this time. You should see the wizarding world now, Alex. Its how I’ve always dreamed it would be. Purebloods and muggleborns stronger than before, no muggle contact for now one. Things are organized and people actually look up to me now. Sure, they are still scared, but with time they will come to realize I have saved the wizarding world.” His red eyes were sparked with excitement and passion, Alex was brought back in time when blue eyes had done the same thing.

“Now, the only thing I need is you. I’ve watched you for three years, Alex. I’ve thought about you for three years. You’ve done me so much, now it’s my turn to do the same. It was my duty to fix the world I destructed, this whole time I was fixing the damage I inflicted upon your world.” He spread his arms wide and gave a goofy smile. “I rebuilt the wizarding world for you, Alex. You’ll love it there. A powerful witch like yourself doesn’t belong in the muggle world.”

She stood shocked at the same spot above her dead boyfriend. He did change. She should be wary of this, but he remembered her. She could see it in his eyes, they were full of emotion.

A small smile lit her face as she shook her head. “This is unbelievable, Tom.”

His smile faded and he gave a nod. “I agree. If the positions were reversed, I wouldn’t believe me.” He was barely an arm distance away now, and he was studying her obsessively.

“I want to thank you, for giving me yet another chance.” He held up his hand and on it settled his Gaunt ring. But it didn’t shine like it had before. “If you had given this to Dumbledore, I wouldn’t be here- confessing my feelings like some muggle romance novel. I used the ring Alex, and in return I transferred the soul into me. I was mortal when I fought in the war.” He gave a crooked grin. “I wasn’t afraid of death.”

He approached closer, and this time she didn’t step back. She was held captive by the sparkle in his eyes, the emotion his aura screamed.

Tom Riddle was back. This was him. And there were happy endings in life.

“And Ryan? Why did you kill him?” She didn’t really care, even if it was sad her anchor was now in a better place.

Voldemort scoffed and closed the distance between them. “You know-, I never liked other men touching you.” She was slammed into the wall and his lips devoured hers possessively. His hands clutched her body close to his and his nails scratched down her back as he guided her into the bedroom down the hall.

He was kissing her in desperation, almost afraid she would disappear once again. But they both knew they weren’t going anywhere anytime soon without each other. 

End.